find articles, how tos, patterns, and more for all needlearts
Patterns for Sale
Holiday Mystery Project ~ Part 3
by Shelly Hazard
Step 4: Putting it all Together
You now have all of the pieces for the project so the next step is to put all those pieces together.
You should now have five longer strips, two short strips, and a block of pieced fabrics. Now we will put those pieces together. The directions are listed in a step format below for ease in assembly. The picture at the bottom is for reference.
- Sew Group 5 and Group 6 together so that the Y/AA piece is on the right side of Group 6 and the Yr/AAr piece is on the left side of Group 6.
- Sew Group 1 and Group 5/6 together so that the bottom of the II piece of Group 1 is touching the LL piece of Group 5/6.
- Sew Group 4 and Group 5/6/1 together so that the S pieces are on the right side of Group 5/6/1 and the Sr pieces are on the left side of Group 5/6/1.
- Sew Group 2 and Group 3 together so that the short side of the II piece and the short side of the PP piece touch.
- Sew Group 2/3 and Group 5/6/1/4 together so that the PP piece is touching the DD and LL pieces of Group 5/6/1/4.
Step 5: Finishing Touches
You're almost done - just need to add a couple of finishing touches to make it perfect!
- Using the rounded template marked MTH below, cut one MTH template out of the pink solid fabric.
- Using the picture for placement, applique the MTH template onto the face.
- Using two strands of blue floss, stitch in the eyes using the button hole stitch.
Note: The border pieces to be cut out in steps 4, 5, and 6 have a ¼” seam allowance added to the given size.
- Cut four 2.5” x 2.5” pieces out of the gold print fabric.
- Cut two 2.5” x 8.5” pieces out of the green print fabric.
- Cut two 2.5” x 24.5” pieces out of the green print fabric.
- Sew the two 2.5” x 24.5” pieces of the green print fabric to the left and right sides of the angel. The green and gold pieces are for a border around the angel.
- Sew the four 2.5” x 2.5” pieces of the gold print fabric to each end of the two 2.5” x 8.5” pieces of the green print fabric. Then sew these pieces to the top and bottom of the angel. You have now completed a border around the angel with green sides and gold corners.
Congratulations! You have now finished this Mystery! Project. Use the light solid for a backing fabric and the gold as a binding.